Today’s Proust answers come from Irdaign, midwife, gipsy, princess, seer, and grandmother to the heroine of Allaigna’s Song by JM Landels, which appears in each issue of Pulp Literature.
- What is your idea of perfect happiness? I look forward to the day when all the puzzle pieces I’ve seen fall into place.
- What is your greatest fear? That meddling with Fate for the sake of peace will cost the lives of those I hold dear.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? My inability to live in the present.
- What is the trait you most deplore in others? Cowardice.
- On what occasion do you lie? My life is wrapped in lies. Easier to ask, when do I tell the truth?
- What do you most dislike about your appearance? My appearance suits my needs, depending on my current role in life. Other than that, it is irrelevant.
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse? “It is beyond my control.” That too, is often a lie.
- When and where were you happiest? When my daughter was young and my husband’s soul unbroken by the deaths of his father, brother and sister.
- Which talent would you most like to have? To be able to close my inner eye.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement? My family.
- What is your most treasured possession? Peace.
- What is your most marked characteristic? My voice.
- What is your greatest regret? Leaving my daughter at court when I was set aside. I should have taken her with me and Fate be damned.
- How would you like to die? If not with the knowledge, then at least with the illusion that my grandchildren will live happily ever after.
- What is your motto? Fate be damned.
- What is something we’d never glean about you from Allaigna’s Song? When I was young I could pick a lock with a breath of air, and pick your pocket with a smile.
JM Landels wears nearly as many hats as Bartholomew Cubbins: writer, editor, artist, equestrian, and swordswoman are just a few. After acquiring her degree in Mediaeval English Lit she went to London to get a PhD in English, but instead dyed her hair pink and joined a rock band. She currently splits her time between working on Pulp Literature, managing Red Colt Equestrian Farm Co-op, and teaching Mounted Combat for Academie Duello.