Have you ever finished a story and thought “I want to hear more from that character” or wondered who the subject of a painting really was? We do. All the time. So we’ve asked our Pulp Literature authors and artists to give their main characters our version of the Proust Questionnaire.
Over the next several weeks we’ll be posting the results. We hope you find them as amusing and intriguing as we do. And if it makes you want to read the story go to our Kickstarter page where you can acquire back issues in as little as $5 for an ebook.
First up we have an interview with the title character of ‘Mercer’s Ghost’ by Milo James Fowler from Issue 2, Spring 2014. If this doesn’t make you want to go an pick up that story right now, I don’t know what will.
- What is your idea of perfect happiness? A fresh bottle of Eurasian whiskey.
- What is your greatest fear? Living forever.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Greed.
- What is the trait you most deplore in others? Selfishness.
- On what occasion do you lie? Whenever I have to.
- What do you most dislike about your appearance? It varies from corpse to corpse.
- Which words or phrases do you most overuse? Fleshbag.
- When and where were you happiest? A couple millennia ago, before I was cursed.
- Which talent would you most like to have? Dying.
- What do you consider your greatest achievement? Staying on Saint Peter’s good side — somewhat.
- What is your most treasured possession? Bottle of Eurasian whiskey.
- What is your most marked characteristic? Ability to body-swap.
- Who are your favourite writers? Don’t read.
- What is your greatest regret? Denying Christ.
- How would you like to die? Yes, please. Beggars can’t be choosers.
- What is your motto? Live today like it could be your last. I should be so lucky.
- What is something we’d never glean about you from Mr Fowler’s tale? I’m a big baseball fan. Played with Babe Ruth for a while, back in the day.Milo James Fowler is a teacher by day, writer by night, and an active SFWA member. When he’s not grading papers, he’s imagining what the world might be like in a dozen alternate realities. His work has appeared in AE SciFi, Cosmos, Daily Science Fiction, Nature, and Shimmer. www.milojamesfowler.com
You can order Issue 2 containing ‘Mercer’s Ghost’, as well as other fabulous backer rewards on our Kickstarter page: