With twenty-four fabulous back issues, one to mark each day of Advent, we hope to share with you the joy and magic of the season. When you purchase an issue on its corresponding day on our Advent Calendar, not only will you be collecting great literature, but you will also receive a special gift.
Today is the fifteenth day of Advent, and the issue that holds the secret prize is Issue 15, Summer 2017
- Iconoclasts and troublemakers run amok in this issue, watched over by S Ross Browne‘s powerful cover painting, The Huntress.
- A young vagabond risks her soul against magical forces to save a world that’s been anything but kind to her in the opening chapter of Brenda Carre’s novel Gret; and Spencer Stevens encounters a rebel heiress in his search for his own lost love in The Highwayman’s Deception, Book Four of the Seven Swans mysteries by Mel Anastasiou.
- Aliens, dragons, and trolls are not what you might expect in A M Soto’s ‘Pack Up YourTroubles’, Charity Tahmaseb’s ‘A Knight at the Royal Arms’, and Kris Sayer’s ‘Gruff’.
- Chill out by the pool in two Californian tales. Murder and sexting go hand in hand in Adam Golub’s ‘The Pool Guy’, and ‘Cannery Row’ by Susan Pieters is a bittersweet coming of age tale.
- Our poetry editor Dan Cowper has selected three brilliant works for this issue. In Benjamin Hertwig’s ‘Inglewood Courts, Edmonton’, a young Croatian ventures into strange territory; Nicholas Christian’s ‘Wassail in Ink’ leaves us guessing at seven words; and Jenny Blackford startles with ‘The Hair in the Bag’.
- Short and sweet with a sting: this issue holds the Bumblebee Flash Fiction contest winner ‘Crushed Velvet’, a comic tale of rebellious clothing by Ingrid Jendrzejewski; and runner-up ‘Kiss Kiss Bang Bang’, Jay Allisan’s glimpse into a utopian yet all-too- familiar future.
- You may relax, but these characters cannot: a hurt and hungry man takes centre stage in Angela Post’s ‘Sourdough’, the Surrey International Writers’ Conference Storyteller’s Award runner-up; and JM Landels’s Allaigna wields swords and magic in her search for her father in the latest instalment from Book Two of the fantasy trilogy.
If you’d like to take the element of chance out of the equation, sign up for our daily email where we will crack open each window early. We’ll give you a heads-up on the day’s bonus before you buy, along with an inspirational quote from Your Writing Muse.
And if fear of missing out has you worried, we have a super offer for you: buy our complete six-year collection in print or digital form at any point during the 24 days before Christmas, and you’ll receive all the bonus gifts!