After much deliberation, the editors are pleased to announce the shortlist for the 2017 Hummingbird Prize. In alphabetical order by story, the shortlist is as follows:
- “A Pop of Purple” by Sarah Chamberlain
- “All Day Every Day” by CE Mandybura
- “Bequest” by Soramimi Hanarejima
- “Choosing Guns” by Linda Kirkby
- “Coasting” by Melanie Cossey
- “Commonplace Permit” by Ella Christie
- “Just Down the Hall” by Jeanette Topar
- “Late Blight” by KT Wagner
- “Pilgrimage” by Alex Reece Abbott
- “The Bruised Peach” by William Kaufmann
- “The Cure” by Salvatore Difalco
Congratulations to all the authors! The winner as chosen by Bob Thurber will be announced on July 15th.
Our tireless poetry editor Daniel Cowper has been up late every night for the past weeks, reading and re-reading the wonderful poems that our Magpie gathered this year. The finalists have been passed onto judge Renée Saklikar and we will announce her findings next week. In the meantime, here are the shortlisted poets:
Congratulations to all of you, and double congrats to Trudi Benford who has two poems in the running. Best of luck in the final round!
The Hummingbird Flash Fiction Prize is currently open for entries until June 15th. To stay abreast of all our contest openings, be sure to sign up for our free monthly newsletter.