With twenty-four fabulous back issues, one to mark each day of Advent, we hope to share with you the joy and magic of the season. When you purchase an issue on its corresponding day on our Advent Calendar, not only will you be collecting great literature, but you will also receive a special gift.
Today is the second day of Advent, and the issue that holds the secret prize is Issue 2, Spring 2014
In issue 2, things come in pairs
We have two offerings from JJ Lee, the acclaimed author of The Measure of a Man: the Story of a Father, a Son, and a Suit. “Built to Love” is a satiric and chilling sci-fi tale, and it comes with a fabulous painted cover by JJ.
“JJ Lee’s “Built to Love” was so good! I really liked his book Measure of a Man – this is completely different but just as intriguing. The whole issue was a joy to read, and a lot of the stories you can read in spare moments. Good and pulpy.” – Amanda
- Two very different stories of the undead in the Old West and the New: “Mercer’s Ghost” by Milo James Fowler and “Not Dying in Central Texas” by Sarah Pinsker.
“[‘Not Dying in Central Texas’ is] unbelievably refreshing, touching, and beautiful.” – Alex Ristea
- Two stories that take you literally to the edge: “Falling” a cautionary paranormal adventure into temptation by Angela Dorsey, and the beautiful, heartrending “Poor Thing” by KM Vaghela.
- A pair of stories about couples, and third wheels that bring them back together: “The Tun” by Trevor Shikaze, and the aptly named “Double or Nothing” by Jacqui Hartwood.
- Two takes on inspiration: “Techne” by EL Firestine, and “The Capture of the Muse” by Susan Pieters.
“[Capture of the Muse is] powerful, poignant, beautifully crafted and the multi-layered . . . Lovely work,” – Jacqui Hartwood
- A double length excerpt of Allaigna’s Song by JM Landels.
- And finally you’ll meet the improbable heroic duo of a witch and her goat in an excerpt of Tatterhood, the brand new graphic novel from the ludicrously talented Kris Sayer.
If you’d like to take the element of chance out of the equation, sign up for our daily email where we will crack open each window early. We’ll give you a heads-up on the day’s bonus before you buy, along with an inspirational quote from Your Writing Muse.
And if fear of missing out has you worried, we have a super offer for you: buy our complete six-year collection in print or digital form at any point during the 24 days before Christmas, and you’ll receive all the bonus gifts!
As we begin this holiday season and our look back at the great issues of the past, I feel the same suspense I did as a child, knowing that with each day comes the treasure of the season’s familiar comforts and of the unexpected surprises along the way.