As a teaser for our first issue, here are the first few lines from all the stories in issue 1. See if you can match them with their authors!
- “Live or die, live or die! That’s all anybody does around here. For once, I wish somebody would come up with a third option.”
- Keld tensed as he heard the clinking footsteps and huffing breath of the enemy. It wasn’t the anticipation of the coming fight that made him tense, it was the bloody hallway.
- “Failed equipment located. Searching … no procedure available.
- Sitting on the edge of the bed now, listening. A door opened, shut, someone has come and gone, that much is certain.
- If you walk down the grand staircase of Castle Osthegn, you will see a family portrait.
- “Why is the grass always greener in Sally’s yard?” I ask this out loud, and my husband takes my question literally.
- You must understand, post-apocalypse Hamilton couldn’t get much worse than pre-apocalypse Hamilton.
Here are the stories they come from:
a. Where the Angels Wait, by CC Humphreys
b. Stella Ryman and the Case of the Third Option, by Mel Anastasiou
c. Only the Loons Know, by SL Nickerson
d. Allaigna’s Song: Overture, by JM Landels
e. Glass Curtain, by Sue Pieters
f. The Mechanics, by Angela Melick
g. Of Seige and Sword, by Tyner Gillies
Post your answers in the comments below. The first person to correctly match all seven will win a signed limited edition JJ Lee paper doll, drawn by the amazing Kris Sayer.
And of course, if don’t guess correctly but are still jonesing for that doll, you can pledge at the $50 level on our kickstarter page. There are still a few left, but you need to hurry — the campaign only runs till November 5th!