With twenty-four fabulous back issues, one to mark each day of Advent, we hope to share with you the joy and magic of the season. When you purchase an issue on its corresponding day on our Advent Calendar, not only will you be collecting great literature, but you will also receive a special gift.
Today is the tenth day of Advent, and the issue that holds the secret prize is Issue 10, Spring 2016
Mysteries, monsters, and myths are all the rage in this issue, guarded by Britt-Lise Newstead’s fierce cover girl in ‘She Doesn’t Know She’s Small’.
- Follow Hue de Paien, the High Constable whose detective work could cost him more than just his knees in Carol Berg’s ‘Uncanonical Murder’;
“Berg’s world, redolent of medieval France, is populated with living, breathing characters. … it’s clear the depth of thought she has brought to her creation. Her prose is clear and uncluttered. ‘Uncanonical Murder’ is also a decent mystery, something I’ve seen too many sci-fi and fantasy writers forget to succeed at.” – Fletcher Vredenburgh, Black Gate
- Meet Moishe Cohen, self-appointed vampire-slayer in Gregg Chamberlain’s ‘Monster Hunter’;
- Rejoin our favourite octogenarian sleuth Stella Ryman as she tracks down ‘The Thief Called Edge’, by Mel Anastasiou;
- Discover the difference between beast and human in Sarina Bosco’s haunting fairy tale interpretation, ‘Soul Making’;
- Find out from Susan Pieters how to rid yourself of the ‘Five Finger Blade’ — and why you may not want to;
- Read between the lines in Andrea Lewis’s ‘Vellum’, and reveal the identity of the mysterious visitor in Stephen Case’s ‘Two Twenty-Two’;
- Find truths in fabricated fairy tales and myths with the winners of our Raven contest, Emily Linstrom’s ‘Black Blizzard’ and PE Bolivar’s ‘The Lament for iCarus’.
- Uncover a haunting past in Kris Sayer’s short comic, ‘Where her Armour was Weakest’.
- Finally, unravel more secrets of Allaigna’s heritage in the penultimate installment of Allaigna’s Song: Overture.
If you’d like to take the element of chance out of the equation, sign up for our daily email where we will crack open each window early. We’ll give you a heads-up on the day’s bonus before you buy, along with an inspirational quote from Your Writing Muse.
And if fear of missing out has you worried, we have a super offer for you: buy our complete six-year collection in print or digital form at any point during the 24 days before Christmas, and you’ll receive all the bonus gifts!
As we begin this holiday season and our look back at the great issues of the past, I feel the same suspense I did as a child, knowing that with each day comes the treasure of the season’s familiar comforts and of the unexpected surprises along the way.