‘Doughboy Lovers and the Appetites of Desire’ in the current issue of Pulp Literature is a story steeped in myth and magical realism with cautions embedded for modern lovers. Here’s another glimpse into the thoughts of author Karlo Yeager’s protagonist.
- What is your greatest fear? Loneliness has its own weight and momentum which grows and accelerates with time.
- What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? What, and have people think I’m weak?
- When and where were you happiest? Adrift in childhood memories of my grandma’s kitchen, immersed in the sweet smell of baking bread.
- What is your most treasured possession? The old family recipe for doughboys.
- What is your greatest regret? Love, like day-old bread, grows stale.
When not swinging a pick in the Word Mines, Karlo Yeager writes short fiction, reads, and offers a portion of his soul to animate the Baltimore Science Fiction Society’s tame Dalek.
You can find ‘Doughboy Lovers and the Appetites of Desire’ in Pulp Literature Issue 4 through our Kickstarter page.