The Muse Revisted Retreat
Bowen Island BC
6 – 8 January 2017
Renew your love affair with your Muse this year, and start by pampering her — and yourself — at this exclusive writing retreat on beautiful Bowen Island BC. Located at the sumptuous Lodge at the Old Dorm in Snug Cove, this all-inclusive weekend includes luxury accommodation, gourmet food, manuscript critiques and workshops with our editors, as well as time to work on your own, walk in the woods, and enjoy the peace and beauty of this coastal island.
The price for the weekend is $925 per person, all-inclusive. This covers accomodation and all meals from Friday dinner through Sunday breakfast. The Hour Stories sessions, blue pencils and critiques are donated by the editors. Any funds left over go directly to supporting the non-profit organization, Pulp Literature Press.
Friday 8 January
- 3:25 pm: Ferry to Bowen Island. We will meet you at the ferry and take you and your luggage to the Old Dorm if you don’t want to bring a vehicle.
- 4:00 – 5:00 pm: Meet and greet, get settled in your rooms and take some time to explore the charming village of Snug Cove, or settle down and get writing.
- 5:00 – 7:00 pm: Introductions, getting to know each other, and goals for the weekend over gourmet dinner prepared by Chefs Dan and Julia.
- 7:00 – 9:30 pm: Introduction to the Hour Stories. Hour Stories session 1 (optional: you can always choose to write on your own instead).
Saturday 9 January
- 8:00 am: breakfast
- 9:30 – 11:30 am: Hour Stories session 2
- 12:30 pm: lunch
- 2:00 – 3:30 pm: critique reviews, blue Pencil sessions, or independent writing as you choose.
- 4:00 – 5:30 pm: Independent writing time or guided walk through the forest.
- 6:00 – 7:30 pm: dinner
- 7:30 – 9:00 pm: Group Discussion working on sticking points, plot problems and character arcs (agenda set by group), or independent writing.
- 9:00 pm – late: night owls’ walk to pub
Sunday 10 January
- 8:00 am: breakfast
- 9:00 – 11:00 am: Hour Stories session 3 or independent writing
- 12:00 pm: catch the noon ferry OR spend some more time enjoying the island before the 2:30 ferry.
All the sessions on the schedule are optional, and you are welcome to take time to work on your own whenever your muse demands it. The Hour Stories sessions give you approximately 1000 words of a short story or your work in progress. The prompts are very general and work with whatever you are writing, so you should come away from the weekend with at least 3000 new words, or more if you end up continuing to write in your spare time during the weekend. Mel, Jen and Sue have been writing together every week using the Hour Stories for years, and still find this group writing time invaluable for generating first drafts. Join us, and see for yourself how productive the method is!
Some double occupancy rooms are available if you would like to share a twin-bedded room with a friend. You are also welcome to bring a spouse or partner whether he or she writes or not. There is plenty to enjoy on Bowen Island including artisan shops, hiking, spas, kayaking, and art galleries. A double occupancy room is $799 per person; deduct an addition $100 if the second person is not participating in the workshops. Please inquire when you book to see if double occupancy rooms are still available.
Join us, and give your muse the gift of time and space in a supportive, inspirational, and light-hearted environment. She will reward you a hundredfold!
Single occupancy: $899 ($925 after January 1st)
Muse retreat, single occupancy: $899
Shared room: $799
Muse retreat, shared room: $799
Partner / spouse rate (for non-participating guest in same room): $699
Muse retreat, partner rate: $699
Please let us know if you have dietary or physical restrictions we can accomodate. If you have questions don’t hesitate to contact us at info(at)pulpliterature.com!
Thank you for joining us — we look forward to writing with you!